Advanced Improv Weekend with Denyse & Richard
This exciting two-day workshop is for crafters who have some experience with improvisational patchwork and are ready for more in-depth exploration and refinement of the technique. You'll begin in a discussion with Denyse and Richard about how to turn improvisational “sketches” or blocks into an overall quilt top design, pattern, or theme. You'll learn ways to create variations on a theme from block to block using composition and color. You’ll work toward building your own quilt top and receive guidance in planning, exploring, and developing your own design and color story. You won't go home with a finished quilt – but you will build confidence in your individual patchwork “voice” with Denyse's motivational techniques.
In addition to an exciting workshop experience, we have packed the weekend with very special opportunities to sample some of the most interesting and inspiring highlights of the region, and spend creative down-time with Richard, Denyse, and your fellow classmates. Saturday evening enjoy a delightful, private cocktail hour and a delicious farm-to-table dinner in a charming 1930’s cottage, situated directly on the beach, with sunset views and ocean waves just feet away. Join us for a guided beach walk along the spectacular Pleasure Beach, with its teaming wildlife and amusement park ruins. Sunday morning includes an early morning expedition to Denyse’s favorite vintage hunting ground – the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market.
Don't miss this exciting opportunity to test your own creative limits, and experience a weekend full of inspiration, motivation, beautiful views, and great food!
Saturday September 19 - Sunday September 20, 2015
If the workshop is full, the date will not appear in the drop down menu below. Email us to be added to the wait list for any date.
Prior to registration please be sure to read our Registration Policies section.
$725 tuition includes the following:
• Workshop 11-4 Saturday, 11-2 Sunday
• Sewing machine, cutting mat, rotary cutter and all other tools
• Saturday and Sunday morning coffee, pastries and fruit
• Saturday and Sunday lunch
• cocktail and appetizers at the Beach Cottage
• guided beach walk on Pleasure Beach
• delicious, farm-to-table dinner at the Beach Cottage
• optional evening sewing hours
• optional Sunday morning trip to the Flea Market.
• goodie bag!
What You Need to Bring
• 4-5 improvisational blocks or ideas for a direction you'd like to explore for a quilt project.
• 1/2 to 1 yard each of several fabrics to use in creating additional blocks. Please consider a range of values and a mix of solids and prints in your choices. We also have fabric available for sale.
• sketchbook or paper and your preferred drawing tools.
• digital camera.
• If you prefer to bring your own sewing machine and tools, please feel free to do so. Just let us know if advance and plan to arrive one-half hour early to set up your machine.
Whether you are traveling from afar or from just down the road, we've put together some information to make getting here easier, and to help you plan an entire weekend in the area.